The 2013 RENKEI Collaborating Across Cultures Researcher Development School aims to:
- 1) Develop future research leaders with the skills to lead collaborations between different disciplines and cultures (in the broadest sense of the word, also to include academia vs. industry cultures).
- 2) Facilitate the formation of active collaborations between participants to achieve a tangible outcome.
- 3) Develop a sustainable network of researchers across Japan and the UKIn 2013 this will be achieved by the delivery of a school in two parts, both conducted in English.
The Researcher Schools will take place in two parts with all participants committing to attend both of these. The first part will be a two week programme taking place in Bristol, U.K. in July 2013. The second part will be another two week programme taking place in Kyoto, Japan, in December 2013. The dates are as follows:
Bristol: Mon 1st July – Fri 12th July 2013
Kyoto: Mon 2nd December – Fri 13th December 2013
Each programme will consist of a series of skills workshops as well as opportunities to get to know and work with fellow participants. Participants will also meet and learn from senior academics and representatives from industry. The workshops will be very interactive and successful applicants will be expected to participate fully. Participants will be expected to give presentations, come up with and pitch ideas as a group, and work closely with fellow participants from other institutions.
Workshop topics will include:
- Working across different cultures
- Giving effective presentations
- Understanding personality differences
- Working with industry
- Pitching an idea
The programmes will also include social activities, giving participants plenty of opportunity to get to know each other and to network with others involved in RENKEI. Participants will also be given some free time, to work on activities and to explore the surrounding area. This programme will be conducted in English.